Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Exhibition Formats

I find Kara Walker's art work very interesting. Because of the way the art is installed, it feels like the viewer just walked into a storybook, in which there are many different stories being told, or at least hints of stories being told. The characters seem to be from the past, perhaps from the slave era. Many of the characters look as if they are African American. Some of the characters seem to be in the air as a result of some kind of violence. While there does seem violence in the figures, there also seems to be some humor. Because the figures are all silhouettes, the viewer must imagine both the expressions on their faces and the feelings that they have. 


My Complement, My oppressor, My Enemy, My Love, by Kara Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment