Monday, November 12, 2012

Final Reflection

        This term, I completed 2 pieces. One, The Beautiful Game , was on a canvas. This project was spray paint on newspaper, and acrylic paint over the spray paint. I painted a soccer ball and paint drips on it. All the newspaper articles were about soccer. The other piece I made, The Lookout, was of a photo taken by my friend in Puerto Rico. It is of a lookout tower in front of the ocean. The soccer one took me many weeks which included planning, experimentation, and execution. I got the idea of using newsprint from a piece of work I saw at T.J. Maxx. I liked the original piece, and I wanted to make something similar but have it be my own. I had to experiment with many materials to get kind of look I wanted. The tower piece took about one week and was made with acrylic paint. I am very proud of both pieces, especially the soccer one because I have never done anything like it before. I came out of my comfort zone. I wasn’t sure how it would come out or if it would turn out well, but I did it anyways. I was really pleased with my results.
         The hardest part of making art for me would be trying out new techniques and materials. I am most comfortable with painting with acrylic and oil paint, so when I used spray paint and newsprint, it was something new and riskier for me. Although it was somewhat of a challenge, it was also satisfying to try out something new. Another thing I enjoy doing is painting. I find it comforting and soothing. Although I am patient with the process and don’t mind taking my time, my favorite part is the finished product. When I finish a painting, I like being able to say that I did it all by myself. I take pride in all my work, whether it came out the way I had anticipated or not. Sometimes the work just takes on a life of its own. This year, I think I have grown as an artist. I did something that I never imagined I could do. Being in a small classroom which was relatively unstructured, forced me to be more original and independent in my work. I hope to continue on finding myself as an artist and pushing myself to try out different ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment