Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Art & Fear, By David Bayles & Ted Orland

Quote 1
"The seed for your next art work lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece."

  • When I was in 8th grade at my old school, I took a painting class with my friend. We had to paint a bowl of fruit. I had never really painted from observation before. Every time I thought I was finished, my teacher would mention multiple things that needed to be fixed. It took the whole semester to paint the bowl of fruit. All of my mistakes helped me to learn to be a better painter. 


Quote 2
"Artmaking probably does require something special, but just what that something might be has remained remarkably elusive - elusive enough to suggest that it may be something particular to each artist, rather than universal to them all."

  • While I sometimes have difficulty coming up with creative ideas for my art, other people may easily be able to do that. For me, what's special and comes easily is being precise, patient, and hardworking, which are all illustrated by the work I produce.


Quote 3
"The lessons you are meant to learn are in your work."
  • When I look at my paintings, I like what I see. I see that I have really improved in my painting skills. I also see that most of what I have painted are landscapes, beaches, and nature in general. Before this term, I hadn't really painted animals. Looking at my paintings, I realized I had a fear that I would not be able to paint animals. This inspired me to try. I painted a deer. Because I liked the way the deer turned out, I decided to paint another animal, jellyfish, which also ended up looking good in my eyes. I guess I still need to try and paint new things and learn from them. I need to trust myself and expand my subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment